Daniel Cormier takes home inaugural MMA ESPY
Daniel Cormier has added another career accolade.
Cormier was awarded the inaugural ESPY for Best MMA Fighter.
Previously, MMA fighters were categorized with boxers, in the Best Fighter category. In the past, Ronda Rousey, Conor McGregor, and Demetrious Johnson won the former award.
Cormier beat out Amanda Nunes, Henry Cejudo, and Israel Adesanya.
ESPN determines ESPY awards based on online fan voting.
Watch Cormier accept the award:
The ESPY year generally runs from July to July.
In that time, Cormier captured the heavyweight title from Stipe Miocic at UFC 226 in July 2018, and defended the title against Derrick Lewis at UFC 230 in Nov. 2018.
At the time of his victory over Miocic, Cormier was the light heavyweight champion. Cormier would later vacate the light heavyweight title in Dec. 2018.
Cormier is slated to defend the heavyweight title against Miocic at UFC 241 in Aug.
I won the espy for mma fighter of the year tonight. I am humbled, I have the greatest support system ever. From my family, to my coaches, managers and partners we’ve all made this happen. And to the fans that voted I love each and every one of you. Thank you DC pic.twitter.com/sA5XKuNXR4
— Daniel Cormier (@dc_mma) July 11, 2019
More from MMATorch:
- Dana White’s Contender Series FULL REPORT , Season 3, EP 3
- REPORT: Cub Swanson vs. Kron Gracie targeted for Oct.
- ROUNDTABLE: Should Luke Rockhold retire?
- Dana White’s Contender Series, S3, EP 3 LIVE RESULTS:
- ROUNDTABLE: How did you score Jon Jones vs. Thiago Santos?
- HYDEN BLOG: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly from UFC 239
- MMA Talk for Pro Wrestling Fans ENCORE EDITION: Ennis returns to discuss Thiago Santos & G1