Damian Maia and Ben Askren will fight in the main event of UFC Singapore. Who wins?
Who wins between Demian Maia and Ben Askren?
Frank Hyden MMATorch Columnist
I’ll go with Askren by decision. Part of me thinks he can submit Maia but I don’t know. Maia is really good so I think this goes the distance. It might not be the most exciting fight but hopefully it’s interesting enough to be entertaining. I think it’s close but Askren wins enough of the grappling exchanges to get the decision.
Sean Covington MMATorch Contributor
I got Ben Askren. I just think that Demian Maia will over think it. I am rooting for Maia, he should make one more run at the title and see what the matchups are, hopefully he can find a few favorable one and get the gold before he calls it quits. Ben Askren needs the win so much more though. I have to pick Ben because if he loses he can’t really be taken seriously afterward. Ben’s career could survive a loss but he wouldn’t see a title fight unless he was a substitution.
Michael Hiscoe MMATorch Columnist
Officially, insomnia wins when Demian Maia fights Ben Askren. But as for who will win the fight, I think it’s going to be Askren. When Maia is matched up against other strong grapplers, he tends to come up short in the striking battle. I’m expecting this fight to play out similar to how Maia vs. Woodley went a couple of years ago with both guys afraid to engage too much with Askren squeaking by with a decision win.
More from MMATorch
- A Twitter diary of Nate Diaz’s potential withdraw from UFC 244
- HISCOE: Conor McGregor shouldn’t be fighting anywhere, but definitely not NYC
- Conor McGregor announces date of next fight
- NEWS UPDATE: Conor talks next fight, Faber and Aldo next fights in the works
- NEWS UPDATE: Hardy gets new opponent, Weidman releases statement, Minakov-Ayala off
- HYDEN BLOG: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly from UFC Boston
- MMA Talk for Pro Wrestling Fans – Vallejos & Monsey review UFC Boston, preview UFC Singapore, Bellator 231 and 232, more
- Conor McGregor and other MMA topics that could get the 30 for 30 treatment