Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 83 event in Pittsburgh continues to get shaken up, as MMAJunkie.com reports that Trevor Smith is out of his fight with Leonardo Augusto Guimaraes, while Globo reports that Augusto Mendes has stepped in against Cody Garbrandt after John Lineker’s illness removal.
This is the second time Mendes has signed on for an extremely short notice fight, though he was forced out of the last one just shortly after signing in January. The undefeated BJJ specialist enters the UFC at 5-0, with four of those wins coming by submission.
He’ll have his hands full against Team Alpha Male’s Garbrandt, who brings a 7-0 mark into his third UFC appearance. The 24-year-old stopped Marcus Brimage in his UFC debut, following that up with a decision over Henry Briones.
As for the Smith-Guimaraes fight, a hand injury has taken Smith out of the fight, with the UFC reportedly seeking another late replacement.
The card, which airs live on Fox Sports 1 this Sunday from the Consol Energy Center, now shapes up as follows:
Fox Sports 1 Main Card (9PM ET)
- Donald Cerrone vs. Alex Oliveira
- Derek Brunson vs. Roan Carneiro
- Cody Garbrandt vs. Augusto Mendes
- Dennis Bermudez vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
- Chris Camozzi vs. Joe Riggs
- Shane Campbell vs. James Krause
Fox Sports 1 Prelims (7PM ET)
- Alex Garcia vs. Sean Strickland
- Oluwale Bamgbose vs. Daniel Sarafian
- Leonardo Augusto Guimaraes vs. TBA
- Nathan Coy vs. Jonavin Webb
UFC Fight Pass Prelims (5:15PM ET)
- Ashlee Evans-Smith vs. Marion Reneau
- Lauren Murphy vs. opponent TBA
- Shamil Abdurakhimov vs. Anthony Hamilton
Attention iPhone/iPad users, if you’ve enjoyed our app in the past and followed us there, or if you’ve never checked it out, make sure to update to the latest version in the Apple store. We’ve launched a new look for the app, in line with our recent desktop overhaul. Make sure to check it out! An update to our Android app is on its way soon as well, so Android users keep an eye out for that update soon!