Conor McGregor may not be happy with his punishment from the Nevada Athletic Commission, but he may be forced to comply if he wants to stay in good graces with the State of New York.
In a statement to MMA Fighting, the New York State Athletic Commission said that they are aware of the punishment handed down by the NAC, and that McGregor has yet to officially apply for a license in New York and that they expect McGregor, and any licensee, to “resolve disciplinary actions and comply with lawful final orders issued by the states in which they have chosen to compete.”
The statement also said that they will be “closely monitoring this matter.”
McGregor has been ordered by the NAC to pay a fine of $75,000, participate in an anti-bullying public service announcement and complete 50 hours of community service for throwing water bottles and canned energy drinks at a pre-fight press conference promoting UFC 202 in Las Vegas. The statement from the NYSAC stated that McGregor has yet to comply with the order, but that also his timeframe for appeal has yet to expire.
While the statement does not explicitly say that they will refuse to license McGregor if he doesn’t comply, there is the implication that such action would be within their power.
Hiscoe’s Analysis: I don’t expect anything to come of this and it’s not unusual for commissions to uphold each other’s suspensions and fines. It’s also not unusual for fighters to wait until shortly before the fight to apply for a license. McGregor should, though, keep quiet about any discontent with his punishment as such behavior has hurt fighters in the past when they find themselves back in front of the commission in the future. I wouldn’t expect McGregor to appeal his punishment so I’m sure he will quietly pay the fine and do the community service and the fight in New York will go off without a hitch. Seeing the backlash the NAC received after fining McGregor an original amount of $150,000, I couldn’t imagine the wrath that would be felt if New York denied Conor McGregor a license to fight and ruin UFC 205.
TUESDAY NOTEBOOK ITEMS….
-On yesterday’s MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani, Urijah Faber announced he will be retiring after his UFC on Fox fight with Brad Pickett on Dec. 17 from Sacramento.
-Dominick Cruz vs. Cody Garbrandt at UFC 207 on Dec. 30 fro Las Vegas has officially been announced.
-On a recent edition of his Fight Companion podcast, Joe Rogan shared that he was close to being booked for a fight with actor Wesley Snipes back in 2005.
-Lyman Good who was slated to fight Belal Muhammad at UFC 205, has been flagged for a potential USADA anti-doping violation. UFC will look for a new opponent for Muhammad.
FIGHT ANNOUNCEMENT ROUNDUP
-Frankie Perez vs. Marc Diakiese at UFC Fight Night Albany on Dec. 9.
-Louis Smolka vs. Ray Borg at UFC 207 on Dec. 30 from Las Vegas.
-David Branch vs. Louis Taylor for the World Series of Fighting middleweight championship on Dec. 31 from New York City.
NOW CHECK OUT YESTERDAY’S UDPATE: MONDAY NEWS DIGEST 10/24: Jonny Hendricks says he’ll be done fighting if he loses next fight (w/Hiscoe’s Analysis)
(MMATorch’s Daily News Digest features the top story of the day with added analysis, plus smaller tidbits in the News Notes section. Mike Hiscoe, who writes the News Digest Sundays through Thursdays, has a background in film criticism and previously wrote for the DVD Town and Movie Metropolis websites. His passion for Mixed Martial Arts goes back to 2005, but it was in the promotion for UFC 60: Hughes vs. Gracie that he really got hooked.”This is my house, I build it,” is still among the all-time great UFC promos. You can follow Mike on social media under the tag @mikehiscoe. He now provides his experienced writing and perspective on live MMA events for MMATorch.)
Leave a Reply