Welcome to MMATorch’s Daily Top Five. Every weekday, tune in for a new Top Five list on a variety of topics; some will be regularly updated, some will be one offs, but we hope you enjoy them all throughout the week! If you’ve got an idea for a Top Five list you’d like to see, email email@example.com and we may fit them into the weekly mix!
8/4/16: Top Five MMA Quotes of the Week
In our regular Thursday feature, today we list out the most newsworthy, entertaining, or incendiary quotes of the week.
5. Carlos Condit on UFC on Fox 21 opponent Demian Maia: “Demian Maia is, without a doubt, a world-class fighter… He’s underrated. Because he’s a phenomenal fighter, he should possibly, potentially be a no. 1 contender, but the thing is, his style’s not fan friendly. He doesn’t fight… he plays it safe and he’s been playing it safe. That’s why he’s not where he should be with regard to rankings or respect among welterweights.”
4. Mark Hunt unloads on USADA once again: “Don’t [f***ing] waste my time with your bulls** testing ok why are [you] even testing when [you] f***ers don’t do s*** about it take your out of competition testing and stick it up your ass cheating motherf***ers what a bunch of wankers.”
3. Off suspension, Nick Diaz talks proposed bout with Tyron Woodley: “I want to fight the best guy. You know what, I always want to fight the best guy, but the thing is I’m on top. I’m the one on top. They’re dropping my name. I don’t need no fake-ass piece of plastic. F*** that. I could fight and we could do a catchweight too. Everybody wants to do a fight with me, champions at 170, champions at 185. I said we can meet halfway. I don’t owe nobody nothing. I made pay-per-view without a title. I don’t need that fake-ass plastic to beat somebody.”
2. Tyron Woodley responds to Nick Diaz: “He didn’t make sense. He ‘wanted to fight the best,’ I have the gold. But he don’t want the gold, he ‘made PPV’ without the gold. I think Nick Diaz is a great fighter. If he realized that I was actually giving him credit and I was actually wanting to fight him because he was one of the best welterweights in the history of the sport, I think he would’ve answered it quite differently. But as it shows you, his IQ, outside of fighting, is not extremely high.”
1. Nate Diaz on UFC’s motivation for booking Conor McGregor rematch: “Then the deals got done and I was like, ‘Wow. That payday and this payday in that short amount of time, can’t pass that up so let’s do it.’ But I feel like these guys want to weed me right back out, hoping that I lose. Alright, they’d better hope I lose because if I win this one, I’m really taking over.”
[Photo (c) Mark J. Rebilas via USA Today Sports]
Attention iPhone/iPad and Android users, if you’ve enjoyed our app in the past and followed us there, or if you’ve never checked it out, make sure to update to the latest version in the Apple store and/or Google Play store. We’ve launched a new look for the app, in line with our recent desktop overhaul. Make sure to check it out!
For current App users, swipe right to view next article, swipe left to view previous article.