WSOF Lightweight Champ Justin Gaethje wants to finish out his WSOF deal in 2016, but he may have to appear in front of Colorado’s State Boxing Commission to get clearance in order for that to happen.
According to a report from Jason Floyd at TheMMAReport.com, the CSBC suspended Gaethje indefinitely out of Saturday’s WSOF 29 event due to “unsportsmanlike conduct.” The issue in question was Gaethje’s back flip off the cage following his first round stoppage of challenger Brian Foster.
The rest of the suspensions handed out by the commission out of the card were of a medical nature, with Foster receiving up to six months pending clearance of his left knee after the leg kick loss.
The full list of suspensions is below:
- Justin Gaethje: Suspended indefinitely (unsportsmanlike conduct)
- Brian Foster: Suspended 180 days or can be cleared early with Doctor letter (left knee)
- Mike Hayes: Suspended 30 days (laceration)
- Josh Caven: Suspended 45 days (laceration)
- Josh Huber: Suspended 30 days (laceration)
- Clayton Wimer: Suspended 45 days (nasal fracture)
- Danny Mainus: Suspended 60 days
- Patrick Davis: Suspended 30 days
- Jacob Flesher: Suspended 30 days
- Chris Morgan: Suspended 45 days (weight)
Penick’s Analysis: Gaethje didn’t do anything uncommon with that flip. Fighters are jumping up onto cages and off of them consistently after victory. Apparently Colorado doesn’t take kindly to that, which could subject him to some sort of fine, but I imagine he’ll have a hearing with them as soon as possible to clear it up and move forward.
Attention iPhone/iPad and Android users, if you’ve enjoyed our app in the past and followed us there, or if you’ve never checked it out, make sure to update to the latest version in the Apple store and/or Google Play store. We’ve launched a new look for the app, in line with our recent desktop overhaul. Make sure to check it out!
For current App users, swipe right to view next article, swipe left to view previous article.