Current UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Daniel Cormier said recently that he was going to take some time off, regardless of when Jon Jones would be returning. He believes he deserves the break after three fights in ten months, a stretch that featured a loss to Jones, followed by wins over Anthony “Rumble” Johnson and Alexander Gustafsson after Jones was stripped of the belt.
Well, Jones on Monday night posted for just the third time on Twitter since his hit and run case was settled, and he’s apparently ready to wait until Cormier’s ready to go.
Take as much time as you want, the fire inside of me won’t be dying down anytime soon. #AndStill
— Jon Bones Jones (@JonnyBones) October 20, 2015
Jones’ last bout was the Cormier fight at UFC 182 in January, a bout he won in a clear decision in Las Vegas. His hit and run accident in Albuquerque in April led the UFC to strip him of the title and suspend him indefinitely. He’s yet to be officially reinstated, as the UFC is covering their bases regarding the plea deal and probation he’ll be serving under said deal.
Penick’s Analysis: Regardless of the outside indiscretions, the simple fact in this division is that Jones beat Cormier clearly less than a year ago. While Cormier looked good against both Johnson and Gustafsson, and gutted out a win in the latter fight after taking more damage than he ever had previously, he still got beat by the best in the division not even ten months ago. He needs to fight Jones and beat Jones to stake his claim as the true and only Champion. Jones wants to regain what he never actually lost. It’s a significant fight whenever the UFC can make it, and now it’s Cormier’s move.
[Jon Jones art by Grant Gould (c) MMATorch.com]
Leave a Reply