Welterweights Colby Covington and Robbie Lawler will fight in the main event of UFC Newark. Who wins?
Frank Hyden MMATorch Columnist
I think Lawler pummels Covington into a 2nd round TKO. I have serious doubts as to whether Covington can get the takedowns he needs in order to beat Lawler, at least on a consistent basis. I’m a Lawler fan so maybe I’m biased but I just don’t see it. I think Covington takes a few power shots from Lawler and that changes his demeanor and he starts shooting for takedowns half-heartedly and Lawler eventually pounds him out for the win.
Michael Hiscoe MMATorch Columnist
Colby Covington has been on the shelf for over a year so that does raise some questions of whether he’s ready for the type of war Robbie Lawler is likely to bring. Lawler is coming off of a tough loss to Ben Askren but you almost need to throw that one out due to how wild it was and how wonky the officiating went. Lawler is less successful against guys who take a measured approach to the fight and don’t engage in fire fights. I expect Covington to approach this fight similar to how he did with Rafael dos Anjos and keep the pressure on but without getting into a slug fest. Covington should be able to get enough takedowns and win enough rounds to take the unanimous decision.
Sean Covington MMATorch Contributor
I’m thinking Colby stays out of Robbie Lawler’s range and gets a very boring decision win. I would love to see Robbie destroy this guy, but I don’t think Robbie is fast enough or has enough stamina to chase Colby for an entire fight hoping to land big shots.
More from MMATorch
- UFC NEWARK PREVIEW & PREDICTIONS 8/03: Grocke’s updated odds & predictions for every fight
- Dana White: We’re out of the Cyborg business
- RATE THE POSTER: UFC 242 edition
- 4 random questions going into UFC Newark
- ROUNDTABLE: Who do you believe in the Cyborg-Dana White war of words?
- HISCOE: Colby Covington faces his toughest test this weekend and it’s not Robbie Lawler
- READER POLL: Who wins between Colby Covington & Robbie Lawler?