UFC Middleweight Champion Michael Bisping may not be fighting GSP at UFC 206, but he certainly has an opponent in mind as a replacement to convince the UFC to let him fight on the card.
During his Sirius XM show, Bisping expressed a desire to fight Nick Diaz. “If it’s not ‘GSP,’ I don’t mind being on the card against somebody else, and Nick Diaz would be somebody else that moves the needle,” Bisping said. “Now, again, I know I’m going to open myself to criticism saying that, but there’s been talk of us having a fight before.”
Though he initially said he wanted some time off after the war he had with Dan Henderson earlier this month, Bisping claims to feel reinvigorated by the prospect of this bout. “Now in my mind, I want to fight at 206. I was ready to take the rest of the year off and do nothing and enjoy being the champion and have some time with my kids and go away for Thanksgiving.” he said. “Then this was put in my mind again, and now I want to fight in Toronto.”
Even though he conceded that he’d likely face criticism for calling for this fight, Bisping reiterated that he would fight anyone as long it made sense monetarily. “If anybody wants to do it, as long as it’s not some new pup that just signed with the UFC, I’m down to fight anyone,” he said. “I’ll fight anybody as long as it makes sense business-wise. I’m not going to risk my reputation and my title against some chump, but if there’s money on the line, then I’ll do it.”
Bisping’s last outing saw him defeat Dan Henderson via decision at UFC 204. Nick Diaz has not fought since early 2015 at UFC 183 where he lost a decision to Anderson Silva.
Cervantes Analysis: This fight should not happen. Bisping is suspended for at least six months unless he gets cleared by a doctor after the battle he had just two weeks ago. Diaz hasn’t won a fight since 2011, and there are myriad more worthy contenders in the division right now. He should fight the winner of Luke Rockhold vs. Jacare Souza or of Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero, as those fighters would have earned the shot. Bisping, though on a tear, does not have the star power to demand these types of fights and I hope the UFC doesn’t budge on this the way they did when he asked to fight Henderson.
FRIDAY NOTEBOOK ITEMS…
-According to MMAJunkie, multiple networks such as NBC, ESPN, and Turner are in talks with the UFC to broadcast its content upon expiration of the Fox Deal in 2018.
-Eddie Alvarez told Fox Sports he plans to submit Conor McGregor “under the nine-minute mark” at UFC 205.
-Several cars in Anthony Pettis’s driveway were set on fire this week. He called the arson attacks on his cars “a cowardly act” and expressed gratitude that no one was hurt in a post on Instagram.
-Bloody Elbow reports that Frank Mir is working to be released from his UFC contact to pursue K-1 kickboxing and boxing.
NOW CHECK OUT YESTERDAY’S UPDATE: THURSDAY NEWS DIGEST 10/27: George St. Pierre replies to Michael Bisping challenge, says has talked more with UFC (w/Hiscoe’s Analysis)