There was even more UFC 200 drama this morning, as the new main event between Miesha Tate and Amanda Nunes came close to getting called off.
With a new early weigh-in procedure in place for the event – the first time early weigh-ins were utilized in Nevada – fighters had to check in and weigh-in at the official location between the hours of 8AM and 10AM PT. Failure to check in by that time and to make weight would lead to a fight’s cancellation, and Tate was a late show, getting in just before the time limit to register her official weight.
Thankfully, the UFC Women’s Bantamweight Champion hit 134.5 nude with towels surrounding her, making the fight with Nunes official.
Two other fighters came down to the wire, with both Kelvin Gastelum and Johny Hendricks getting to the venue just before the cutoff as well. Gastelum hit his mark without issue, though a shaky and sunken-in Hendricks missed by a quarter of a pound, forfeiting 20% of his purse to Gastelum for the event.
All other fighters made weight, including Brock Lesnar, who came in at 265.5 pounds for his return fight against Mark Hunt.
Penick’s Analysis: The weigh-in procedure is new for fighters, so some can’t be blamed entirely for perhaps timing things wrong a bit, but in the case of Hendricks it’s still entirely concerning when a fighter looks the way he did after a cut. As for Tate, it would have been right in line with everything else that happened this week for her to have missed or shown up late to have that fight get canceled. Thankfully there weren’t any more problems, and the event can go on tomorrow night.
UPDATE: Full weigh-in results from today are below.
Pay-Per-View Main Card (10PM ET)
- Champ Miesha Tate (134.5) vs. Amanda Nunes (135)
- Mark Hunt (264.5) vs. Brock Lesnar (265.5)
- Champ Daniel Cormier (206) vs. Anderson Silva (198.5)
- Jose Aldo (145) vs. Frankie Edgar (144.5)
- Travis Browne (244) vs. Cain Velasquez (242.5)
Fox Sports 1 Prelims (8PM ET)
- Julianna Pena (135.5) vs. Cat Zingano (135.5)
- Kelvin Gastelum (171) vs. Johny Hendricks (171.25)*
- Raphael Assuncao (135.5) vs. T.J. Dillashaw (136)
- Enrique Marin (156) vs. Sage Northcutt (156)
UFC Fight Pass Prelims (6:30PM ET)
- Joe Lauzon (156) vs. Diego Sanchez (155)
- Gegard Mousasi (185.5) vs. Thiago “Marreta” Santos (186)
- Takanori Gomi (156) vs. Jim Miller (155.5)
[Photo (c) Jayne Kamin-Oncea via USA Today Sports]
Attention iPhone/iPad and Android users, if you’ve enjoyed our app in the past and followed us there, or if you’ve never checked it out, make sure to update to the latest version in the Apple store and/or Google Play store. We’ve launched a new look for the app, in line with our recent desktop overhaul. Make sure to check it out!
For current App users, swipe right to view next article, swipe left to view previous article.