Welcome to MMATorch’s Daily Top Five. Every weekday, tune in for a new Top Five list on a variety of topics; some will be regularly updated, some will be one offs, but we hope you enjoy them all throughout the week! If you’ve got an idea for a Top Five list you’d like to see, email email@example.com and we may fit them into the weekly mix!
6/30/16: Top Five Quotes of the Week
In our regular Thursday feature, today we list out the most newsworthy, entertaining, or incendiary quotes of the week.
5. Jon Jones downplays Daniel Cormier feud: “Daniel Cormier, our beef is childish… Daniel Cormier, his fight to me was no tougher than the Glover Teixeira fight. First three rounds were competitive and then after that I ran away with the victory… Daniel, he really isn’t my biggest challenge or I don’t think he’ll be my threat anyway. He’s just part of the journey. I’m excited to out there and beat him again. Get rid of him once and for all.”
4. Aljamain Sterling on suffering first career loss: “I felt like I had the world by the nuts, and I blew it. I asked for this big push, for this opportunity. I asked for everything. I put in so much effort in terms of the training, and after such a dominant first round, the way I had that adrenaline dump, especially in my arms… it felt like I was swinging two cinder blocks around. It was pretty disheartening. All I could think when the fight was over was that I’d had a great first round — I’d almost pulled it off. I was just so disappointed that I had everything I ever wanted and could ask for with that fight, and I came up short. I know I wasn’t blown out or beaten up. It was more about what I wasn’t able to do or what I didn’t do than anything else.”
3. Mickey Gall on CM Punk fight at UFC 203: “I’m taking him very seriously. A lot of people are treating him like a joke but I’m going to look like a real [expletive] if I go out there thinking he’s a joke and get myself beat. I won’t let that happen. I think I’ll finish him in one round, but I’ll be prepared to go three hard rounds. I think I’ll be able to get him in one. That’s what I do, I get people in one. I plan to do some violence, some terrible things in the fight. I’m going to make it real ugly for him.”
2. CM Punk on UFC endeavor: “I know people think this is a publicity stunt, I’m never going to set foot in the Octagon. I look forward to proving them wrong, but to me, it’s not super far-fetched to be like, ‘You know what? What if I put three or four wins together? Who’s to say I don’t get a title shot?’ … To wrestling fans who say, ‘Oh, this is B.S.’…the ones who say I’m going to fight one time are the same ones now saying I’m never going to make it to the Octagon. That’s for them to say. They’re entitled to their opinion, but I’ll prove them all wrong.”
1. Conor McGregor on Nate Diaz rematch: “I’m feeling very confident in myself that I’ll go in and I’ll toy with this man. Eight minutes of the fight, I was toying with him. That fadeaway left hand that he caught me with, my senses were still there. It was almost like a fatigue thing that my balance was gone… There’s a lot of questions and stuff I’m confident I can improve next time. I’m going in here confident that I will get this rematch back.
[Photo (c) Gary A. Vasquez via USA Today Sports]
Attention iPhone/iPad and Android users, if you’ve enjoyed our app in the past and followed us there, or if you’ve never checked it out, make sure to update to the latest version in the Apple store and/or Google Play store. We’ve launched a new look for the app, in line with our recent desktop overhaul. Make sure to check it out!
For current App users, swipe right to view next article, swipe left to view previous article.