Welcome to MMATorch’s Daily Top Five. Every weekday, tune in for a new Top Five list on a variety of topics; some will be regularly updated, some will be one offs, but we hope you enjoy them all throughout the week! If you’ve got an idea for a Top Five list you’d like to see, email email@example.com and we may fit them into the weekly mix!
6/23/16: Top Five Quotes of the Week
In our regular Thursday feature, today we list out the most newsworthy, entertaining, or incendiary quotes of the week.
5. Dana White on Donald Cerrone’s pay complaints: “How much money does Cerrone expect to make on a co-main event? The kid looks great. Never held a world title and made over 200 grand, co-main event, $900,000 gate on free TV… I think the thing that’s frustrating, especially for a guy like ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone, is he has the personality. Everybody loves the kid. His fighting style is f***ing exactly what I like. It’s right up my alley. Everything I love about a fighter, ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone is. And he’s a couple fights away from having that big fight. You’ve got to win them all. Every fight is the most important, and you’ve got to work your way up and you’ve got to win those big fights.
4. Georges St-Pierre on number one pick for return opponent: “There are two things I’m very proud of: There’s my title – my Welterweight Title that I won – and there’s another record that I hold for the most wins in UFC history. And now I have someone who’s challenging me for it in Michael Bisping. I do not believe, if I fight him, he will send me back to a movie set. Yes, he’s bigger than me, but I believe I’ve got more skill, more athleticism, and a higher fighting IQ than he does. The world doesn’t turn around me, but if it’s a fight that the fans and the UFC want to make, they’ve got my number.”
3. Dana White continues ripping Ariel Helwani: “When you’re a real journalist, you reach out, and you say, ‘Hey this is the rumor, this is going on and everything else, and I’m going to run with it.’ That’s what the real journalists do. He’s a website guy, you know what I mean? It’s just a totally different world now. There’s still a lot of real journalists out there that before they do something, they reach out and show that respect and have that relationship, whereas [Ariel] is not that guy. A lot of people support him, and good for you and all that stuff, but a lot of people have turned on him, too… It was dirty, he knows it was dirty, and he threw a big pity-party for himself makes crying noises, crying on camera and shit. It’s just f***ing ridiculous.”
2. Miesha Tate on Ronda Rousey’s absence: “I’m at the best point in my career and she’s at the worst. So I think I bring a level of confidence and I’ve been defeated before, but I’ve come back stronger for it. I question whether she will be able to do the same. I’m not saying she won’t come back – I just don’t know if she’ll come back the same. Cause she seems awfully pouty about the loss and it’s like we’ve all had losses.”
1. Georges St-Pierre on UFC return: “I love my sport and I still feel I’m at my best right now. The clock is running. I’m not getting any younger. I’m in the peak of my career and if there is a shot, there is another goal, another run, I better do it and do it quick, because it is time to do it now… I don’t want to end up where I’m too old and say, ‘aw, I should’ve done it. I was in great shape. My timing was impeccable, and I didn’t do it,’ so I would die with regret.”
Attention iPhone/iPad and Android users, if you’ve enjoyed our app in the past and followed us there, or if you’ve never checked it out, make sure to update to the latest version in the Apple store and/or Google Play store. We’ve launched a new look for the app, in line with our recent desktop overhaul. Make sure to check it out!
For current App users, swipe right to view next article, swipe left to view previous article.