Welcome to MMATorch’s new Daily Top Five. Every weekday, tune in for a new Top Five list on a variety of topics; some will be regularly updated, some will be one offs, but we hope you enjoy them all throughout the week! If you’ve got an idea for a Top Five list you’d like to see, email email@example.com and we may fit them into the weekly mix!
6/17/16: Top Five Stories of the Week
In our regular Friday feature, we list out the most newsworthy stories/articles from the past week in MMA.
5. Caceres-Rodrigues, Swanson-Kawajiri, others set for UFC’s Utah debut: After an excellent performance on short notice over Cole Miller, Alex Caceres has been granted a main event slot on the UFC Fight Night 92 card in Salt Lake City, Utah, in August. He’ll take on the exciting Yair Rodrigues, fresh off a flying head kick KO win in his most recent fight, while Cub Swanson and Tatsuya Kawajiri face off in a featherweight co-main event. Several other fights have been officially announced this week as well.
4. Chad Mendes flagged for potential USADA violation: The Team Alpha Male product and featherweight contender could face up to a two-year suspension from USADA. The exact nature of the test failure hasn’t yet been revealed, and he’ll have his opportunity to go through the appeals process.
3. Tim Means gets reduced USADA suspension due to tainted supplement: In a sign of what that process could bring, Tim Means became the second fighter flagged by USADA to get his suspension reduced due to confirmation of a tainted supplement. The same thing happened with Yoel Romero, and Means will now be able to return to action by August.
2. Exiting Bellator Champ Will Brooks signs with UFC: Brooks, reigning Bellator Lightweight Champion, was granted his release from the organization, and as soon as he was able to sign elsewhere he came to terms with the UFC. His debut’s coming in short order as he steps in against Ross Pearson at The Ultimate Fighter 23 Finale next month, and he’ll have an opportunity to establish himself as an elite 155 lb. competitor.
1. Anthony Pettis drops to featherweight, UFC returns to Vancouver: The former UFC Lightweight Champion meets Charles Oliveira on August 27 in his first 145 lb. fight, and it’s happening on the UFC’s fourth Fox event of 2016 in Vancouver. It’s the UFC’s first trip back to Vancouver in a couple years, and they’re running Fox events in consecutive months for the first time ever.
[Photo (c) Joe Camporeale via USA Today Sports]
Attention iPhone/iPad and Android users, if you’ve enjoyed our app in the past and followed us there, or if you’ve never checked it out, make sure to update to the latest version in the Apple store and/or Google Play store. We’ve launched a new look for the app, in line with our recent desktop overhaul. Make sure to check it out!
For current App users, swipe right to view next article, swipe left to view previous article.