Welcome to MMATorch’s Daily Top Five. Every weekday, tune in for a new Top Five list on a variety of topics; some will be regularly updated, some will be one offs, but we hope you enjoy them all throughout the week! If you’ve got an idea for a Top Five list you’d like to see, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we may fit them into the weekly mix!
5/12/16: Top Five Quotes of the Week
In our regular Thursday feature, today we list out the most newsworthy, entertaining, or incendiary quotes of the week.
5. Demian Maia on current position in UFC’s welterweight field: “They kept giving me these rising prospects that many people thought could beat me. But I beat them all, one after the other. First it was [Ryan] LaFlare, then [Neil] Magny and then Gunnar Nelson. In those fights, I had the impression they were trying to use me as a stepping stone. I beat them all convincingly… It doesn’t matter who I fight. With my arsenal, I believe I can beat everybody in the division. That’s why I want a title shot if I beat Brown.”
4. Dana White on relationship with Conor McGregor after UFC 200 ousting: “Conor and I have been talking every day. We’re gonna have dinner next week. Our relationship is great. We’re gonna put the little speed bump in the road behind us and move forward. Everything is great.”
3. Daniel Cormier on any fan not excited about UFC 200: “You’ve got two of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world fighting and that’s not enough? With Jose Aldo, Frankie Edgar, Miesha Tate, Amanda Nunes, Cain Velasquez, Travis Browne – if that’s not enough for you, you’re really just a fan of Conor McGregor and not a fan of fighting.”
2. Vitor Belfort on current contract conditions with UFC: “MMA is a lot closer to entertainment than sport these days. I’m not satisfied with the way the company is handling sponsorship. We are pretty much living in slavery. We can’t use our own sponsors, they are banned inside the Octagon. We have no properties.”
1. Dana White on idea of UFC owners selling company: “We get offers for the UFC all the time. It started in 2010, we got an offer for over a billion dollars, we turned it down. The day we decide to sell, I probably don’t want to do this anymore. I love the business, I love the sport, I jump out of bed every day excited to work.”
Attention iPhone/iPad and Android users, if you’ve enjoyed our app in the past and followed us there, or if you’ve never checked it out, make sure to update to the latest version in the Apple store and/or Google Play store. We’ve launched a new look for the app, in line with our recent desktop overhaul. Make sure to check it out!
For current App users, swipe right to view next article, swipe left to view previous article.