Welcome to MMATorch’s new Daily Top Five. Every weekday, tune in for a new Top Five list on a variety of topics; some will be regularly updated, some will be one offs, but we hope you enjoy them all throughout the week! If you’ve got an idea for a Top Five list you’d like to see, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we may fit them into the weekly mix!
4/22/16: Top Five Stories of the Week
In our new regular Friday feature, we list out the most newsworthy stories/articles from the past week in MMA.
5. UFC Fight Pass adds Shooto Japan to streaming library, live event schedule: A significant historical fight library is coming to UFC Fight Pass with the addition of Shooto Japan, which has been running shoot fights, vale tudo style events, and MMA for 27-years. The still-running promotion will also be airing live fights on UFC Fight Pass, adding even more value to the service for hardcore fans of all things MMA.
4. Georges St-Pierre getting closer to UFC return, Reebok deal a hang up: Georges St-Pierre really seems like he wants to fight again, but the UFC’s current deal with Reebok has been an issue in negotiations. Considering the amount of money he will not be able to make with outside sponsors should he return to the Octagon, he’s trying to get the difference made up in whatever deal he signs to come back. Additionally, he’s looking for big name fights, whether or not a title is involved.
3. Police investigation into alleged B.J. Penn sexual assault begins: Just days after the UFC decided to book B.J. Penn due to a supposed third party investigation not finding a reason to keep him sidelined, the Hilo police opened their investigation into allegations made against Penn that he sexually assaulted a woman in August of 2015. The police report filed in Ohio where the woman now lives just got to Hilo police last week, making the timing of the UFC’s move even poorer. As of now, Penn remains on the UFC 199 card, but that could potentially change.
2. Teixeira knocks out Evans; Namajunas, Nurmagomedov win at UFC on Fox 19: Last weekend’s UFC on Fox 19 event wound up being an entertaining card despite several late changes to the lineup. Glover Teixeira ended the night with a major KO over Rashad Evans, while Khabib Nurmagomedov made a successful return in a tune up fight over late replacement Darrell Horcher. After two years out it was needed for the Dagestani fighter. Rose Namajunas avenged a close decision loss to Tecia Torres with a close decision win over her own, while Cub Swanson got back into the win column over Hacran Dias. Michael Chiesa and John Dodson had standout wins on the undercard as well.
1. Conor McGregor retires then un-retires, off UFC 200: The entire Conor McGregor saga this week could really take up the entirety of this list, because there’s been plenty of twists and turns in a very short amount of time. Regardless, the fact that the UFC pulled their biggest star from what they’re hoping to make their biggest event over essentially an issue of control seems crazy on the surface, and though there’s some slight hope of resolution to keep his fight with Nate Diaz on UFC 200, that seems to be waning by the day.
[Photo (c) Gary A. Vasquez via USA Today Sports]
Attention iPhone/iPad and Android users, if you’ve enjoyed our app in the past and followed us there, or if you’ve never checked it out, make sure to update to the latest version in the Apple store and/or Google Play store. We’ve launched a new look for the app, in line with our recent desktop overhaul. Make sure to check it out!
For current App users, swipe right to view next article, swipe left to view previous article.