Anthony Pettis has failed to make weight for his Featherweight Title bout with Max Holloway.
Multiple sources reported that Pettis was struggling a few hours before weigh-ins and he ultimately weighed in at 148, making him ineligible to compete for the title
UFC announced that the bout will remain a five round fight and that if Holloway wins, he will be named the Interim Featherweight Champion.
This marks the first time in nearly a decade a fighter has missed weight for a title fight.
Cervantes Analysis: Pettis looked exhausted and very dehydrated when he got on the scale. Apparently, he even went as far as to shave his head in hopes of making the weight. I’ve heard that he walks around at 180 and, this being just his second cut to 145, he still must not be used to it or he didn’t started cutting as early as he should have. It’s disappointing to see how this all played out given that UFC stripped Conor McGregor of the title to make this fight happen, and if Pettis wins, it’ll have made the move a waste.
FRIDAY NOTEBOOK ITEMS…
MMAFighting.com reports that Jon Jones reached a deal with the NSAC and will be eligible to compete in July of 2017. The NSAC had initially been considering suspending Jones for 2 years for testing positive for a banned substance earlier this year.
Tim Kennedy told MMAJunkie that without a fighter association MMA will not exist in 10 years.
Duke Roufus told Bloody Elbow that “things are looking hopeful” for C.M Punk and that he’d like to see Punk fight again in four or five months.
During an episode of the MMA Hour, TJ Dillashaw said it was time for Uriah Faber to retire.
NOW CHECK OUT YESTERDAY’S UPDATE: THURSDAY NEWS UPDATE 12/8: GSP says UFC reached out to him night of MMAAA press conference, but no progress (w/Hiscoe’s Analysis)
(Jonathan Cervantes has been an avid fan of MMA since 2009 when he saw GSP vs. B.J. Penn 2. He has practiced tae kwon do, jiu-jitsu, and wrestling in the past and is currently a student majoring in entrepreneurship at the University of San Francisco. He writes the MMATorch News Digest on Fridays and Saturdays. Michael Hiscoe writes MMATorch News Digests Sunday through Thursday each week.)
Ok I’m confused. They stripped Connor at 145. Aldo was Interim Champ and was elevated to full champion. Why the hell are we having another interim title fight?? I’ve heard nothing that Aldo is unable to compete which is why you have an I-C. This seems to be nothing but something to legitimize the stripping of Connor and something to monetize what they lose in what was supposed to be a McGregor Aldo rematch. There’s no legit valid reason for another IC champion I can see. If Aldo is unable to compete why wouldn’t he have been stripped of the Interim title and not elevated. Just seems to be nonesensical crap.