Welcome to MMATorch’s new Daily Top Five. Every weekday, tune in for a new Top Five list on a variety of topics; some will be regularly updated, some will be one offs, but we hope you enjoy them all throughout the week! If you’ve got an idea for a Top Five list you’d like to see, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we may fit them into the weekly mix!
4/15/16: Top Five Stories of the Week
In our new regular Friday feature, we list out the most newsworthy stories/articles from the past week in MMA.
5. B.J. Penn booked as UFC 199 continues to take shape: The UFC is bringing B.J. Penn back after concluding there was not enough concrete evidence against him in the sexual assault allegations made earlier this year. His fight with Dennis Siver is one of many added to the UFC 199 card on June 4 this week, with Jessica Andrade vs. Jessica Penne, Brian Ortega vs. Clay Guida, and numerous other fights joining the pay-per-view event in Inglewood, Calif.
4. New York MMA bill signed into law, UFC sets Nov. 12 date for MSG: New York Governor Andrew Cuomo on Thursday signed the newly passed MMA bill into law, setting it up to go into effect on September 1 of this year. With a timetable set, the UFC quickly announced a Nov. 12 pay-per-view event for Madison Square Garden later this year, and will also be bringing an event to upstate New York before the year is out.
3. Lyoto Machida admits using banned substance, scrapped from UFC on Fox 19: When USADA showed up to collect a sample for an out of competition substance, Lyoto Machida listed all of the supplements he was taking. He failed to check all of those substances against USADA’s banned substances list, because one them was on it. With that revelation constituting a violation, the UFC pulled Machida from Saturday’s UFC on Fox 19 event, and opponent Dan Henderson appears headed for UFC 199 in June.
2. Junior dos Santos has best performance in years in UFC Fight Night 86 win: Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Junior dos Santos defeated Ben Rothwell in the UFC Fight Night 86 main event last weekend, putting together his best performance since his time as champion to do so. The five round decision win gave some hope that JDS can return to form and be a title challenger once again in the future.
1. MMA fighter Joao Carvalho dies after TKO loss in Dublin: The tragic passing of young Portuguese fighter Joao Carvalho in Dublin this week was a devastating and sobering reminder of the dangers inherent in MMA. Carvalho passed after 48 hours in the hospital following complications from a loss to Conor McGregor’s teammate Charlie Ward; he collapsed several minutes after the conclusion of the fight, and by accounts from his team everything that could be done to try to save him was. The MMA world mourns his passing, and you can still send assistance to his family in a GoFundMe page set up for them this week.
Attention iPhone/iPad and Android users, if you’ve enjoyed our app in the past and followed us there, or if you’ve never checked it out, make sure to update to the latest version in the Apple store and/or Google Play store. We’ve launched a new look for the app, in line with our recent desktop overhaul. Make sure to check it out!
For current App users, swipe right to view next article, swipe left to view previous article.