Quinton “Rampage” Jackson is stuck on the sidelines right now pending resolution of a contract dispute with Bellator MMA. Though he successfully appealed an injunction from the organization to fight at UFC 186 earlier this year, the UFC won’t be booking him again until it’s resolved, and Jackson said on Monday he may be done in MMA if things don’t go his way in the dispute.
“I really do think that I fought my last fight,” Jackson said on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani. “Because, you guys weren’t in the mediation with me when Viacom said what they want for me to settle. I felt like it was lopsided and my attorney felt like it was lopsided. I don’t think I can tell you [what it was], but I could sue them for a lot of money. Because I lost a lot of money. And they want to settle, I was like wow.
“I don’t think I can tell you guys, but if I ever find out I can tell you, I’ll put it out there. But I don’t think I can.”
Jackson left Bellator over what he and his camp claimed to be a breach of contract on the part of Bellator and Viacom. Bellator and Viacom disagreed, and believe their contract to be valid with the former UFC Champion. For now, the legal process continues.
Penick’s Analysis: Saying he’ll retire rather than fight for Bellator may simply be a ploy, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he decided to simply walk away than be forced to fight in their card. I don’t think we’ll ever see him fight in Bellator again regardless of what happens in that case, so if he’s unsuccessful this could be a legitimate stance. Still, if he reaches a settlement, he’ll be back in the Octagon shortly thereafter.