After his BMF victory over Nate Diaz at UFC 244, Jorge Masvidal may be the logical contender for the welterweight title. Does he deserve a title shot now?
Does Masvidal deserve a title shot now?
Frank Hyden MMATorch Columnist
Yes, he does. No one else deserves a title shot more than him. Plus, you might as well strike while the iron is hot, and Masvidal is on the verge of a major breakthrough. He’s had a couple huge wins in a row, give him the next title shot and see what happens. He’ll be ready for it, he’s a pro.
Michael Hiscoe MMATorch Columnist
I’ve been calling for Jorge Masvidal to get the next shot since the Askren fight. The Diaz/BMF fight was a fun diversion, but it’s time to give Masvidal the title shot that he deserves. The best-case scenario sees Colby Covington beat Kamaru Usman next month to set up Covington vs. Masvidal sometime in 2020.
Robert Vallejos MMATorch Managing Editor
Even if you dismiss the current popularity of Jorge Masvidal (you shouldn’t) it is difficult to put anyone else in the top contender spot. Sure, Leon Edwards is in the mix, but the argument can be made that Masvidal already holds a victory over Edwards. The only way Masvidal is not the next contender, is if he finds something more lucrative.
More from MMATorch:
- HISCOE: Weighing the options for who’s next for Jon Jones
- HYDEN BLOG: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly from UFC 244
- MMA Talk for Pro Wrestling Fans – Vallejos and Monsey break down UFC 244 including stoppage in main event, more
- Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal: Full fight recap with highlights and interviews
- WATCH: Jairzinho Rozenstruik makes quick work of Andrei Arlovski
- WATCH: Lyman Good stops Chance Rencountre
- UFC 244 LIVE REPORT results and real-time analysis of the BMF bout between Diaz-Masvisal