As fun as it sounds, don’t get too excited about a potential Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone-Conor McGregor fight – at least if you trust Dana White.
White spoke with TMZ recently about what’s next for McGregor, and White is focused on what may be coming from the Nevada Athletic Commission before he’s booking any fights.
“It’s not even worth talking about,” White told TMZ. “We don’t know how long the suspension’s going to be…we don’t know the penalties yes so you can’t even think about fights until you know what the penalties are.”
This is a logical and fair approach from White towards his promotion’s biggest star, but still fans and Cerrone have shown interest in setting up a fight between the two. Cerrone had originally called for a fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov following his first roound win over Mike Perry last week in Denver, but during the week he shifted his focus to McGregor.
“Obviously that’s the fight ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone wants,” White said. He also reiterated that there are no plans for McGregor or Nurmagomedov until after their Dec. 10 hearing in front of the NAC.
NEXT: THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY FROM UFC FIGHT NIGHT 139
So if Dana White is being honest, don’t count on any announcements regarding McGregor or Nurmagomedov anytime soon. He also indicated in his statement that he is expecting suspensions for both men, so it could be some time before we see either in the cage.
Leave a Reply