WEDNESDAY NEWS DIGEST 8/2: Mayweather makes a surprising offer to McGregor, McGregor responds, plus White on Tyron threat (w/Hiscoe’s Analysis)

By Michael Hiscoe, MMATorch contributor

Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor (photo credit Tom Szczerbowski © USA Today Sports)

Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor are both expressing maximum confidence heading into their Aug. 26 boxing match. While the rules are set and the contracts signed, Mayweather proposed an amendment on Tuesday.

In an Instagram post, Mayweather proposed boxing McGregor with 8-ounce gloves rather than the agreed upon 10-ounce gloves. The image Mayweather posted was clear, and to the point, reading: “McGregor… let’s fight in 8 oz gloves.”

Mayweather went into more detail in the photo’s caption where he wrote: “Don’t believe what you hear in the media. Don’t believe what you hear on blog sites. If it’s not coming directly from me, then it’s not true. I’m telling McGregor, ‘Let’s fight in 8 oz gloves.’ McGregor can fight in any brand he prefers or chooses. I’ll be wearing 8 oz Grant gloves. Whatever advantage McGregor needs to feel more comfortable in the ring, I’m willing to accommodate. Let’s give the boxing and MMA fans what they want to see.”

McGregor responded with an Instagram post of his own on Wednesday morning and, as you might expect, Conor McGregor doesn’t give a f— how much the gloves weigh.

“Pick whatever size glove you want,” he told Mayweather in his post. “I fight with 4 oz. I don’t give a f— about the size of the glove. I am coming sprinting at you with bricks. Know that. Brittle hands.”

The post was accompanied by a picture of McGregor sparring with retired pro-boxer Pauli Malignaggi, who has been working closely with McGregor in recent weeks.

The size of the gloves is unlikely to change, but the hype continues to grow.

Hiscoe’s Analysis: I don’t buy for a second that Mayweather is interested in fighting with smaller gloves as he had all the power to dictate those types of things while the fight was being negotiated. This is just a way to get Mayweather-McGregor back into the news cycle after Jon Jones and other UFC 214 stories took over in the past few days. It appears that it worked.


-Dana White spoke to TMZ yesterday and blew off Tyron Woodley’s demand for a public apology as water under the bridge.  “Woodley and I talked and he said he was just pissed and upset and didn’t mean it,” White said.

-Despite claiming earlier this week that he tore his labrum early in his fight with Demian Maia, Tyron Woodley was only issued the minimum seven-day medical suspension by the California State Athletic Commission.

-Two more UFC contracts were handed out by Dana White as part of his Tuesday Night Contender Series last night. Brandon Davis earned the first contract with an entertaining back and forth brawl with Austin Arnett while Julian Marquez secured the other contract with a nasty head-kick knockout of Phillip Hawes. Be sure to check out Michael Grocke’s MMATorch report for full results.

NOW CHECK OUT YESTERDAY’S UPDATE: TUESDAY NEWS DIGEST 8/1: Tyron threatens to leak damaging info against Dana if he doesn’t get an apology (w/Hiscoe’s Analysis)

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.