Welcome to MMATorch’s Daily Top Five. Every weekday, tune in for a new Top Five list on a variety of topics; some will be regularly updated, some will be one offs, but we hope you enjoy them all throughout the week! If you’ve got an idea for a Top Five list you’d like to see, email email@example.com and we may fit them into the weekly mix!
7/7/16: Top Five Quotes of the Week
In our regular Thursday feature, today we list out the most newsworthy, entertaining, or incendiary quotes of the week.
5. Luke Rockhold on middleweight division after UFC 199 loss to Michael Bisping: “I f***ed up the whole division. I put Bisping in a place where he feels empowered and he’s trying to pick and choose his fights. I think it’s put a strain on everything, on all the matchups that need to happen. My bad. I f***ed up. I’m sorry to the fighters and I’m sorry to the fans that they have to deal with this piece of s***.”
4. Nate Diaz on UFC into UFC 202 rematch with Conor McGregor: “They better hope I don’t win this fight,” Diaz said. “Because it’s going to be a lot of trouble for everybody, in terms of the business. This one coming up, they better hope I don’t win this one because the game is going to change. It already has.”
3. Daniel Cormier reacts to Jon Jones being pulled from UFC 200: “To hear something like this is very sad from a competitive and financial standpoint. I don’t know exactly to explain how I’m feeling right now. I’m just very disappointed. I’ve worked really hard to prepare for this… This chapter in my life had been dragging me and it’s made me ugly. I have to move forward and start to clear my mind in regards to him.”
2. Brock Lesnar on Vince McMahon and WWE letting him make UFC return: “Vince [McMahon] giving me the nod to be able to do this, I have great respect for the man and I think he has a greater respect for Brock Lesnar after I walked out in 2004 and went on to become UFC Heavyweight Champion. We’re both older and more mature and it’s water under the bridge. I think he knows a happy Brock Lesnar is easier to work with than a Brock Lesnar that’s not.”
1. Jon Jones on flagged USADA test, UFC 200 removal: “The whole situation really sucks. It really sucks. It really hurts, a lot. Supposedly they found something in one of my samples that I have no clue what it is, I can’t even pronounce it. And I’ve been so outspoken about being against any type of performance enhancers. I’m still to this day extremely against performance enhancers. The whole thing sucks. Being labeled as someone who would ever cheat hurts me more than anything else I’ve ever been through in my career.”
[Jon Jones art by Grant Gould (c) MMATorch.com]
Attention iPhone/iPad and Android users, if you’ve enjoyed our app in the past and followed us there, or if you’ve never checked it out, make sure to update to the latest version in the Apple store and/or Google Play store. We’ve launched a new look for the app, in line with our recent desktop overhaul. Make sure to check it out!
For current App users, swipe right to view next article, swipe left to view previous article.