Conor McGregor’s latest run in with authority has resulted in a six-month driving ban and a fine of €1,000 following a Wednesday court appearance.
McGregor was caught driving 154 km/hr in a 100 km/hr zone last year. He was subsequently fined but failed to make the payment. An administrative error was blamed for the failure to pay.
Judge Desmond Zaidan noted that McGregor has 12 previous driving convictions.
“I apologise, I didn’t know I was going that fast,” McGregor said under oath. “As the [police officer] said, I was polite, I apologised.”
“Speed kills and that is what makes speed dangerous,” Judge Zaidan said. “When speeding goes wrong, the consequences are catastrophic and lives change, there’s no question about it. Sadly we have lost more lives on our roads because of excessive speed, dangerous speeding and other bad behaviour on our roads and that is more so than as a result of violence.”
When asked if he was planning on driving slower once outside the courtroom, McGregor told reporters, “yes, yes, yes,” and left in a waiting BMW.
While he won’t be driving for a while, McGregor will by flying to Nevada next month when he appears before the state athletic commission for a hearing stemming from the brawl that followed his UFC 229 fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov. That hearing is scheduled for Dec. 10.