If you were starting an MMA promotion who would your top 3 signings be and why?
(Conor McGregor is not an option)
FRANK HYDEN, MMATorch Columnist
I’d go with Nate Diaz, Stipe Miocic, and Joanna Jedrzejzcyk. Miocic because he’s the heavyweight champion and has exciting fights. Jedrzejzcyk because she’s the baddest woman on the planet (or you could at least easily bill her as that) and Diaz because he’s got a win over Conor McGregor. There’s plenty of other fighters I would love to sign as well- Tony Ferguson, Demetrious Johnson, Cody Garbrandt, Max Holloway, etc. but if I have to limit it to three, it would be them.
ZACK HEYDORN, MMATorch Contributor
Stipe Miocic – The guy is a tremendous fighter that also has the personality to carry a major brand in order to sell fights. As far as we know, he is a good person and someone that a company could be built around.
Cody Garbrandt – I just love the way Garbrandt carries himself. He has a personality, knows how to talk when he needs to, and is a very good fighter. He’s also young and therefore someone that could be with the company for a long period of time. He has the look and the edge that would balance out Miocic well.
Joanna Jedrzejczyk – In 2017, every company needs a dominant female fighter to push. Jedrzejczyk fits that bill on every level. She is marketable and incredibly skilled inside the octagon.
JOSHUA GARCIA, MMATorch Contributor
1. Georges St. Pierre – I believe he is still a top draw and he is still capable of putting on great fights, plus he has a great legacy.
2. Max Holloway – He is on a great winning streak and he is one of the best all-around fighters right now.
3. Demetrious Johnson – DJ is the best pound for pound fighter on the planet and he just needs an organizational push to get him over the top as a premiere talent.
SEAN COVINGTON, MMATorch Contributor
I wouldn’t even want Conor because I’d put him up against people that have a ground game and expose him.
1. Holly Holm-Although she is actually a loser, I think that you need someone who has a certain skillset and a likeable personality, someone who could win, someone the crowd will root for and want to see win and cheer on in rematches because she would always lose win it counted.
2. Michael Bisping-As much as I personally don’t like the guy, he talks smack well, he wins, he is controversial and he fights just about anyone. If I need a solid performance from someone I’m calling Bisping, if I need an opponent for a top ranked fighter that can bring in some money, I’m calling Bisping. He just simply gets things done.
3. Michael Venom Page- He is the show stopper. He could also cross promote with his success in boxing. Let’s not forget he’s a stand-up guy, paying for his opponent’s hospital bills after caving in their skull.
JOHN HARRIS, MMATorch Contributor
1. Stipe Miocic- Heavyweights are traditionally the top draw in combat sports and Miocic is the best heavyweight in the world. He always delivers exciting fights, fan friendly and if marketed better could be one of the biggest draws in all of MMA.
2. Cody Gardbrandt- At only 26 years old Garbrandt is already one of the top pound for pound fighters in all of MMA. His age, fighting style, undefeated record and ability to market himself make him must have for a new MMA promotion.
3. Robert Whittaker- Another 26 year old who is already a champion in the UFC. Whittaker is the current interim middleweight champion and has a bright future ahead of him. He has an excellent resume already in one of the deepest divisions in all of MMA.
COLE HENRY, MMATorch Contributor
1. Kevin Lee
2. Stipe Miocic
3. Cody Garbrandt
NOW CHECK OUT THE PREVIOUS ROUNDTABLE: Who wins the Michael Bisping vs.Georges St-Pierre fight and why?