Welcome to MMATorch’s Daily Top Five. Every weekday, tune in for a new Top Five list on a variety of topics; some will be regularly updated, some will be one offs, but we hope you enjoy them all throughout the week! If you’ve got an idea for a Top Five list you’d like to see, email email@example.com and we may fit them into the weekly mix!
4/28/16: Top Five Quotes of the Week
In our new regular Thursday feature, today we list out the most newsworthy, entertaining, or incendiary quotes of the week.
5. Junior dos Santos on potential future Fabricio Werdum rematch: “I would knock him out pretty quickly, man. He got better. He’s a better stand-up fighter now. His jiu-itsu is the best in the heavyweight division. There is no doubt about that. But as a striker, he improved a lot, but he’s still a jiu-jitsu fighter, man. If I fight him, I’ll knock him out like pretty fast – maybe in the first or second round again.”
4. John Kavanagh on Conor McGregor’s mindset behind not doing UFC 200 media: “Do you want to see Conor’s best performances or hear his best soundbites? Conor has saved a couple of big pay-per-view cards in the past by unconditionally accepting late-notice opponent changes, so we thought he had earned some leeway as a result. But apparently not.”
3. Pragmatic Flyweight Champ Demetrious Johnson on his fight career: “When I truly say this is how I pay my bills, I take that very seriously. I don’t care if it’s Henry Cejudo for the second time, or Joseph Benavidez for the third time, [John] Dodson the third. I don’t need any motivation. Last time I checked, these [fights] pay the electricity bill. So, I want to keep the lights on.”
2. Daniel Cormier cuts promo on Jon Jones for UFC 200: “We meet here, live, from the T-Mobile arena, the brand new arena out here in Las Vegas, and we unify these titles. Don’t bring that interim belt. You leave that at home, that’s garbage. That’s a play belt, they got that thing from the kiosk upstairs before they gave it to you in the middle of the Octagon. Leave that thing at home, Jon, come chase this real title, get beat, and I’ll ship you back to Albuquerque.”
1. Jon Jones returns fire on Daniel Cormier: “Outside of me, he’s the next best thing. He can beat these other guys. He can’t beat me. I don’t believe greatness is coincidence, and I don’t believe DC is great. If he was great, he would’ve beaten Cael Sanderson in college. If he was great, he would’ve made weight in the Olympics. If he was great, he would’ve beaten me the first time. I’ve never lost a fight. So let him be confident. He can beat these other guys all day. He’s not beating me.”
[Photo (c) Mark J. Rebilas via USA Today Sports]
Attention iPhone/iPad and Android users, if you’ve enjoyed our app in the past and followed us there, or if you’ve never checked it out, make sure to update to the latest version in the Apple store and/or Google Play store. We’ve launched a new look for the app, in line with our recent desktop overhaul. Make sure to check it out!
For current App users, swipe right to view next article, swipe left to view previous article.